Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Milt Sparks, Oh How I Love Thee

If I had to choose one form of carry for all day, everyday, it would be a Outside of the Waistband (OWB), open top, leather belt holster.

Hence, my UBG Regulator which I have pegged my F.A.S.T holster.

But, sometimes you need a good Inside the Waistband (IWB) holster. Primarily if you are wearing a shorter cover garment that will not conceal the full length of your holstered firearm if carried OWB.

Today was one such day. I tried hard to find a long cover garment that worked with the turtleneck I was wearing (Hey, it's cold here!) and failed so I stuck on a short vest and plunged into the gear chest with a wince on my face in search for a good IWB that would assist in concealment.

Keep in mind.... I just had a baby a little over a month ago. Though I have miraculously made it back into my pre-pregnancy jeans I have been deliberately eating my own weight in fats and proteins to keep up with the demands of a nursing baby and not end up looking like an escapee from an anorexia camp like I did with my first child. I've also been working diligently to close the gap in my abdominal muscles caused by said pregnancy. Things are getting back to normal but it's taking time, exercise and patience I tend not to have.

Needless to say, some outfits are still a little tight and that means that donning an IWB at this point in time seemed a bit daunting.

I thought about my Crossbreed SuperTuck but decided against it only because I was not ready for that much leather against my skin. That and I was going to be driving and I have yet to find a comfortable position for that holster and my gun while driving.

Milt Sparks VMII
I remembered then that many moons ago my husband had purchased me a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 (VM2). If there could be a "Cadillac" of holsters some would consider Milt Sparks holsters to be it. 

I honestly don't think I've even worn the holster once (at least I can't remember wearing it) because I've spent so much time carrying in other holsters I've either been reviewing or pregnant and not able to carry on body.

So, yeah, the VM2 was stiff but I left the house wearing it and my tactical diaper bag and with my daughter and my son and my bag of stuff for the library and my stuff for the post office (don't worry, no federal carry laws were broken in the course of my day).

By noon or so I almost forgot I was carrying and by the time I got home (with my library bag filled twice as full as it was when I left) I was very satisfied with my holster pick for the day.

Holsters and belts make a great deal of difference to the experience of the day as do clothing fit.

I have a feeling the VM2 will be my IWB F.A.S.T holster.

No comments:

Post a Comment